Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

> To answer the original question, I would write a wrapper that uses
> ptrace to do what's needed, but I'm crazy that way.

Hey! I already suggested that!

Actually, I changed my mind. I think that in this particular case
LD_PRELOAD will probably work better (you need to make calls to the
socket from the traced program in order to get the fd over to the
tracing program).

However, despair not. If you are looking for interesting PTrace related
hacking, check out the wishlist bug I submitted on fakeroot
(http://bugs.debian.org/330670).

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.