Hi,
I wish to archive a 50mb file into several parts of 5mb files in linux.
I also need to be able to open the files in windows.
For some unknown reason, i can't find a way (other than using a non-free rar)
to do this.
I tried zipsplit but it says something about the file being too large or
something like this.

I tried 7z but after about 12% of archiving it gives a weird error:
"Error:

System error:
Too many open files "
(and this file was never opened :).

What can i do?

Also, i am trying to backup my files (many thousands of them). is there a way
to cause tar or something else not to use a local tmp directory (since i
don't have enough room) and also, it seems to eat too much memory till my kde
programs starts to close.
10x.

--
Regards,