On Monday 19 February 2007 05:26, Amos Shapira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to configure PostgresQL to use raw disk partition, like
> Oracle does?
> If not - is there any recommendation for favourite filesystem type to use?

Most certainly not.
PostgreSQL relies on the OS and FileSystems it inhabits for all I/O
operations. Raw partition are not worth the extra effort anycase on an OS
such as linux which is already efficient with files and extents of those
files. If you want you can use XFS to increase efficiency at the expense of
more chance for data loss in case of a crash since it has a large caching
mechanisms. You can also use raid to increase performance. Additionally you
may try to put the transactions log, which is the bottleneck in databases, on
a ram memory that is backed by a battery. I think i saw a battery PCI card at
asus for 50$. Add 128mb ram and you are good to go.

--
Regards,
        Tzahi.