That's a good question to which I have no answer.
I don't know how google do it. I can think of
1. special file system
2. some kind of "scrubber" - a daemon scanning for FS changes and copying
whatever changed
3. use a sync tool (rsync?) on adaily (hourly?) basis

I doubt google has 1. This is some good startup material.

Dan

On 3/18/07, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 07/03/07, Dan Bar Dov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I suggest you read the latest summary on the reports on storage at
> http://storagemojo.com/?p=383
> http://storagemojo.com/?p=378
>
> The bottom line conclusions I made out of those are
> 1. Do not use RAID5. Stick to RAID 1 (0+1).
> 2. Use cheap SATA storage - even build-yourself. The big bucks don't
> buy you real reliability.
> 3. If at all possible - implement a 3 copies/file scheme rather than
> RAID1/5/6. In the long run is is much simpler and more reliable.
>
> I'd be glad to discuss this more, but man, keep your posts shorter :-)

Thanks for the pointers.

Now - how would you suggest implementing your point 3, short of having
access to an implementation of Google FS?

I'm in a position to re-design a system which requires reliable,
fault-tolerant access to files over LAN for processing (i.e. read files,
calculate stuff on their input, write other files and to a database) and
archiving.

I'd rather build the solution on proven tools instead of re-inventing a
home-grown solution from scratch, but so far I haven't found something I can
bet the company's fate on.

The current system is built on Windows and though the business owner is open
to think about a move to Linux, it will have to be a gradual.

Thanks,

--Amos