On Thursday 22 March 2007 11:49, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 11:46:36AM +0200, Tzahi Fadida wrote:
> > > With PAE you can stick in a lot more RAM on x86-32, but then your
> > > bottleneck becomes the 3GB of virtual address space for a single
> > > process.
> >
> > Perhaps some kind of a hardware solution can be used. I.e. attaching
> > a pci with memory and addressing it's 64gb memory either directly
> > (if you have 64 bit bus) or in two phases. It can also be any RAM
> > space size you choose, but it will cost you (each additional bit
> > doubles your costs :) ).
>
> Accessing memory on an external PCI adapter is *slow*. What you want
> to do is go 64 bit on the host, or barring that, use 32 bit + PAE and
> multiple address spaces (i.e., multiple processes).

Yes of course, you are constrained by the bus speed, however, the cost in $ is
much lower if you use some kind of slower but adequate storage solution.
In addition, if you plan to use 128gb,256gb of these things you cannot do it
in main memory (since you don't have one large enough) and there are times
you cannot dedicate all of memory to this filter since you need some for your
server, otherwise you will have to have either two computers which will have
slow networking response which defeats the purpose or NUMA (which i know very
little about and i am not sure this is doing what i think it is doing, i.e.
having a separate address bus per cpu) but you again constrained by bus speed
(i think) between the processors or you will have to construct it smartly
that each processor handles half the filter or it's section of the filter.

--
Regards,
        Tzahi.