And now for some facts about HOT cable service.

  Cables:

When you connect to HOT, you get a cable modem that (usually) has Ethernet connection. When you connect something (router or PC) to that port and issue a DHCP request, you are assigned, as usual, an IP address. The IP address assigned depends on your connection type.

Option 1: Your ISP told HOT that your are their customer. HOT DHCP assigns you an address from a pool that belongs to the ISP and routes all your traffic to that ISP. A router for that option need to be able to issue a DHCP request on its WAN link.

Option 2: You are an 'open access' client. You get an IP address in the range 172.20.0.0/16-172.29.0.0/16. These addresses can access a restricted set of routers that belong to the ISPs. On top of that connection you can run whatever your ISP chose to do. Some (such as TAU) do PPTP, some do L2TP, but they can also do IPSEC, GRE or whatever they like. This is more flexible because you can switch ISPs without problems. A router for that option need to be able to issue a DHCP request and then run PPTP/L2TP using this IP address. I have seen routers which cannot do that, so you should check your router for that feature (you need to choose PPTP/L2TP and then in the IP address field you need to specify DHCP).

So, a router for a HOT cable connection need to have an Ethernet WAN link. I haven't seen routers which have a coax connection and eliminate the need for a cable modem, so compatibility in that respect is not as issue.

  Enjoy.

Geoff Shang wrote:
Hello,

Apologies for jumping onto a mailing list and posting right away. I realise it's bad form and I hope you'll forgive me for that.

Apologies for also not reading the list FAQ at http://www.linux.org.il/linux-il-faq.html . This currently gives an error:

   xCxxxx: Undefined variable: REQUEST_URI

   xCxxxx: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
   (output started at /var/www/www-linuxorg/inc/main.php:19)

I posted my query to gnubies-il yesterday but I haven't seen it appear yet, so thought I'd post it here in stead.

I'm about to move to Israel with my wife. We've managed to land ourselves a good deal for cable Internet, and I've been reading conflicting information about how it works. The howto at http://tx.technion.ac.il/~eyalroz/linux_cable_pptp.html says that everyone uses PPTP. The howto at http://iglu.org.il/amit/cable seems to indicate that this was changing, and the IGLU FAQ says all you need is a DHCP client and the cable modem. I've also heard from other sources that it uses PPPoE. So which is it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. It's confusing trying to get technical questions answered from the other side of the world when you don't speak the language.

Geoff.