On 22/04/07, Gil Freund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 4/21/07, Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our servers have to deal with huge amounts of small files (tens,
sometimes
> hundreds of thousands of files IN ONE DIRECTORY).

Do you access them locally or remotely, if so, how?

They are writen locally, then transferred over FTP to Windows machines.

I used to be fond of ReiserFS v3 until I got beaten by it not recovering
> from a partition resizing excercise.

Resizing a partition is not a good indicator. There are too many other
factors involved.

I just became worry of the admin tools available for ReiserFS. It's
wonderfull when everything is dandy (and survived many power failures at my
previous home) but then when I needed to do something else, which I hear is
trivial with ext3 for instance, it failed measerebly.

Benchmark your own environment. Hardware specs (RAID, RAM, CPU, etc)
can tilt the results. Repeat the benchmarks for about 3-5 time. I like
Bonnie++. Look for the results that best match your environment (Read,
Write, Create, etc).

It looks like Bonnie++ is what everyone and his dog are doing. I'll try to
see how can I do that (hardly any headroom in terms of spare hardware to
shift things around).

Cheers,

--Amos