Hi,

Regarding root, IIRC, 'sudo' is configured to allow the user to get
root access, e.g., 'sudo bash' should give you a root shell.

This is the approach taken by Ubuntu as well - root itself is
disabled, all root work done via sudo.

The idea behind this is better security. I'm not ocnvinced that this
is the case, but that's the intent.

 Rony

On 4/27/07, Shimon Panfil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 03:59:40PM +0300, Baruch Even wrote:
> * Shimon Panfil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070427 14:32]:
> > Hi Folks,
> > I've just made instalation of debian 4.0 using netinst CD.
> > All is fine safe a couple of minor things:
> > Installer did not asked me if want graphical login, set gdm or something
> > like that automatically, second it did not asked for root passwd and set
> > something that I do not know and it did not asked me if I want grub or
> > lilo and set grub (I definetely prefer lilo!).
>
> How did you boot the installer? If you just pressed enter at the first
> installer screen it should have presented you with a textual installer
> that by default would have asked you for root password and also for your
> computer tasks, if you chose as a task "Desktop" it automatically
> installs X11 with GDM and the whole Gnome desktop environment.
I see. Can I have X11 without GDM Gnome etc?

> I've never seen the installer not ask for a root password so I don't
> know how you could have got to such a state.

Neigher do I, seems really weird

--
Shimon Panfil

Ubi dubium, ibi libertas (where there is doubt, there is freedom)