On 04/08/07, Gadi Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I also spent alot of time on this issue... there are alot of solutions,
> but I think I finally found the best one.  Make a CSS class like this for
> your object:
>

>  div.transback {
>
>           background: url('opac/black3.png'); /* and now for IE only stuff
> */
>
>         _background-image: none;
>         _filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader
> (sizingMethod='scale',src='opac/black3.png');
> }

Thanks. At last it works!
I added the lines above to the style for the main paragraph, like this:
#main {
width:20%;
margin: 0 auto;
padding: 20px 40px 20px 40px;
border:solid 1px #555;
background: url('75p_white.png'); /* and now for IE only stuff */
_background-image: none;
_filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader
(sizingMethod='scale',src='75p_white.png');
}

And now I get the transparent background through IE 6. Unfortunately it
doesn't seem to work for IE under Linux (using Ies4Linux) so I'm stuck with
testing IE 6 on my wife's Windows XP.

of course, you'll need to specify the png files here too... i guess instead
> of <div class="transback"> you could do <div style="background: ...;
> _background-image: ..."> etc instead.  Most browsers will use the
> 'background' atttribute and of course can render PNG files directory.
> Explorer reads _attributes (attribute names with a _ before them), in
> reality I think it's probably meant to ignore it like most other browsers,
> but it's a good way to put stuff for explorer only in CSS.
>

>  there are alot of other broken things in explorer which need work
> arounds... can't remember what this was for but maybe you'll need it too:
>

>  body {
>
>     overflow: hidden; /* fix/hack for position:fixed in IE */
>
> }
>

>  i think it was related... vaguely recall something about scrolling
> properly with transparent backgrounds, but can't remember exactly.

Thanks. At least currently with IE6, shrinking the window and scrolling the
page seems to work perfectly. I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers,

--Amos