On 11/08/07, Lior Kaplan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't have any clue about the reason, but I've forwarded you mail to
> the bug report with hope that someone will answer.
>
> I've also reproduced the bug on my machine, and updated it:
> * reassigned it to the libc6-dev package
> * retitled for easy understanding of the current problem
> * marked in as appearing in unstable).
>
> I hope these will ease the current maintainers of libc6 to fix that.

Just an update on the outcome -

The response this produced (pretty quickly, I must admit) was that these are
undocumented and unsupported API's which could be gone any time, and true
enough - even when I finally got it working on Debian  with Debian's
libresolv somehow the settings directly into the internal variables were
somehow ignored, unlike the behaviour on some version of RedHat. This was
different when I compiled my own version of the library on Debian.

I found lwres ("lightweight resolver") which provides API's to control this
stuff and we might switch to it when we get back to this.

Thanks,

--Amos