i've worked with oss a bit a few months ago and didn't have your problem as
far as i can remember.
i don't see in my code anything unusual... did you open the device with
O_RDONLY | O_NONBLOCK ? that's the only slightly relevant thing that comes
to mind...
i based my code (simple audio capture) on this example:
http://manuals.opensound.com/developer/audiolevel.c.html