On 20/11/2007, Yonah Russ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFAIK MySQL cluster requires using the NDB engine which is not 100%
> compatible with MYISAM, etc. The more recent a version you have the better
> off you will be but there was one point where autoincrement wasn't even
> supported. Also from what I know, a NDB cluster needs at least three nodes.

Excuse me for my ignorance but why should I care about MyISAM
compatibility? Can't I use InnoDB as I currently use (or actually was
dictated by the guys who did the initial web application for us)?

> That doesn't mean you can't have an active-active database. If you
> application is ready for it, you can set up MySQL in a Master Master
> configuration (aka multimaster). For your application to be compatible you
> basically need to use only autoincrement primary keys for all your tables
> but you should read the whole Megilah - here is a good article:
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/04/20/advanced-mysql-replication.html

Thanks for that pointer - after half a day of googl'ing around about
MySQL cluster, the link above was the first one to point to the fact
that MySQL cluster is an in-memory database.

> Google has also released some code for multimaster configurations and they
> have some docs also:
> http://code.google.com/p/mysql-master-master/

Thanks. I read about such a method (with 4 nodes) almost a year ago
and thought that it might have become obsolate with MySQL cluster. Now
I'll have to re-consider it.

> Regarding Postgres- I can't recommend anything specific but I am looking
> into pgpool and pgpool II for a new project.

Why is pgpool relevant here? It more kind of a "reverse proxy fo
postgres" in that it'll hide server failure by auto-connecting to
another server. Does it handle data synchronisation as well?

Another point which was just raised in the office - it appears that we
are going to use DRBD for SQLite synchronization - if so then it
should make sense to use DRBD for MySQL synchronization as well to
reduce the configuration complexity. Any thoughts on that?

I'm afraid that I'll have to convert my PostgresQL web service to use
MySQL instead just to reduce the clutter...

Thanks,

--Amos