On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 18:38 +0200, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > Oh boy, I love those RFC's (specially when they mention 1 thing, and
> > > the real world has other things) :)
> >
> > That's not true. A very small and inaccurate test I did with various
> > clients showed that all common ones can be configured to obey these RFCs
> > and they behave correctly when getting a complying message. The problems
> > arise when a client is configured to not be compliant and sends emails
> > that the other side, in order to parse, needs to play some heuristics.
>
> Outlook 2000 (pre SP1) had tons of issues that I remember.

Indeed there are some issues - RFCs allow you several ways of doing
stuff, either by explicitly allowing for multiple behaviors or by
omitting definitions for trivial stuff (which apparently weren't all
that trivial to the next implementor).

Anyway - you do have to test your application against multiple clients.
Some things which are legal according to the RFC will not be handled
well by some clients and the exact problem is often very hard to nail
down.
I usually test Outlook 2003, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, GMail,
Evolution and Sometimes KMail. Evolution and Thunderbird are usually the
easiest to work with - the eat everything that is legal and even a few
things that aren't and are happy to show you what you expect. GMail is
the worst - you can get it to use almost any feature of MIME/HTML email,
but its often very hard work.

--

Oded