Replying to my own question. After playing with a few more formats in
avidemux, I discovered that if I chose mpeg TS instead of AVI, the index is
created and the file plays in kaffeine. Surprisingly, this "conversion" is
almost as fast as the default AVI. I created a 2 hour video in just over a
minute.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net