On Dec 19, 2007 9:32 AM, Moshe Gorohovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is the prevailing opinion about installing and running
> 32-bit applications and shared libraries on 64-bit Linux
> operating systems?

It's a perfectly okay thing to do.

Naturally it's a waste of memory (cause you end up loading similar sets of
libraries twice), but it's not a sin.

Do Red Hat based 64-bit operating systems support 32-bit
> applications and shared libraries, but Debian based 64-bit
> operating systems do not?

They both do. The 32-bit support is a kernel thing. IIRC, the userspace
facilities are a bit different: RedHat stores the 32-bit programs in the
same filesystem hierarchy as the 64-bit ones (/usr/lib vs. /usr/lib64)
whereas Debian shelves 32-bit binaries away in some chroot.

Also, at least as of two years ago, RPM supported installing multiple
architecture versions of a package whereas APT/dpkg did not (but 64-bit
Debian maintains the 32-bit stuff in a chroot so I guess it maintains
separate dpkg databases for it).