Hi,

First, thanks to everyone who made suggestions re incremental backups. I've not looked into every suggestion, but have so far decided to go with duplicity as it appears to take care of all the physical backup files so I don't need to know how it's all stored and how to get at a particular backed up file - it takes care of that for me.

I've now hit a problem with SSH keys however. Duplicity needs to be able to conect via SSH without needing a password or passphrase, as there seems to be no way to specify it. At any rate, I want this to be automated.

Since I'm new to the world of keys, I've done a bit of experimenting. I did have logins from my home machine to the target machine working properly at one stage. But then I tried setting it up from the machine to be backed up and found that it always wanted the passphrase, and now my home machine does too.

If it is relevant, the target machine is running Ubuntu Feisty openssh 1:4.3p2, the source machine is running Fedora 7 (not sure which version of ssh) and my home box is mostly running Debian Woody with OpenSSH 1:3.4p1.

I'm using FTP instead for now but would rather do this securely.

Any ideas? Do I have to use the agent for this or is there some way to make this happen reliably without it?

Geoff.