I once did such a thing, and IIRC the main problem was with modutils,
which was replaced by module-init-tools. I'd try installing 7.3 on a
test machine, then use a kernel with all needed drivers compiled in - I
think it will work. If that's not good enough, I'd then compile
module-init-tools and try it. I do remember it was not that difficult.
It was some years ago, with a rather old 2.6, but I think even newest
ones will work.
--
Didi