after kickstart gave me a hard (and weird) time, I finally have CENTOS-5
installed automagically over the LAN with PXE. Since it's the target
platform of the product, it only makes sense the R&D do the building on
it. "DUH AKA" it features only a few of the tools they need and old
versions to boot, which means I'll be setting up all the machines to get
a common /opt from a remote machines with all the needed tools, that are
not available from CentOS or even the CentOS-plus repo, and turn the
CentOS machines into a nice workstation.

So to my question:

Before I get into endless tests of dependencies of those important bits
of the toolchains from RPMs intended for Fedora 5,6,7,8 or even
OpenSuSE, does anyone have a recommendation? Which RPMs (or debs! I
don't mind!) will work best with the base libraries of CentOS 5.1 and
still feature the latest versions? Would Etch match? Could Fedora fit?
Should Gutsy be considered?

(tools they want, and most are not in CentOS, are vlc, OOO, kmtrace,
kompare, kregexpeditor, kate, kdesvn, doxygen, colorgcc and many other
such toys and tools)

Thanks in advance!

--
Court-appointed penguin