From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Dan Shimshoni
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 10:05 AM
To: linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il
Subject: AOE and iSCSI (software only)

Hello, Linux-il gurus,

I have to decide between two options of exporting block devices
on a LAN (same subnet for clients and server)
: one is with iSCSI target and iSCSI initiator. The second
is with AOE.

I am talking about using software tools only, not using special hardware.

I had tested AOE with my hardware (no special hw): I had downloaded
aoetools from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aoetools/.
I had also installed blade server of this project on the server
side.
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=130453&package_id=143
790).

I can mount on the client a file which I am exporting on the AOE
server. (which is running this blade).

My question is this:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using AOE versus iSCSI?
Does anybody have any experience/advice regarding using AOE on Linux
(sw only, I am not talkin about CORAID, etc) ?

Regards,
Dan