Dan Armak wrote:

It does work without an IOMMU, it just doesn't protect you from a buggy driver causing DMA access to the wrong address. For other kinds of driver bugs, this might still be better than no virtualization.
Thing is, a real (as opposed to para-virtualized) kernel does not know what physical addresses it runs on. It does not have to be buggy in order to give the DMA controller the wrong addresses.

You are right that I did not account for para-virtualized domains. As far as I know, of the three, only Xen supports those.

Shachar