Dan Bar Dov wrote:

I'm not using it from shell, that was just an example. I need to read format strings from file and use them to print stuff like error reports (the error includes only parameters, and the format string comes from a file.

Please bear in mind that allowing a party to write your format strings for you is equivalent to giving them an known buffer overrun. A format string is enough to get arbitrary code to be run by the program.

Under many circumstances, that's ok. If the program is not a network program and is not SUID, and the format strings are manipulated by the same permission level that the program itself is installed with, then the attack vectors are blocked. I'm just trying to make you aware of it.

Shachar