On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 16:36:37 Gabor Szabo wrote:

> Given the following commands:
>

> $ ls -l /nosuch
> ls: /nosuch: No such file or directory
> $ echo $?
> 2
>

> On one Linux system I get the value 2 as above. On another Linux
> system I get the value 1.
> (The first is a relatively new Ubuntu, the other one is some old Red Hat)
>
> So am I doing something incorrectly or can I just assume that the exit
> codes can change
> even between Linuxes?

It seems a change in the `ls' program. If you check the `ls' man page
you see an added line (on a newer `ls'):

    Exit status is 0 if OK, 1 if minor problems, 2 if serious trouble.

I check with various version of `ls': on versions 5.21 or below you get
exit 1, on the current version (5.97) you get exit 2.

Ehud.

--
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni                       אהוד קרני
     @    @      @  @@  @   Senior System Support   תמיכה במערכות מחשב