Thanks, Gilad. While not quite the problem, it was enough to point me in the
right direction.

For those interested: The ping was called in /sbin/dhclient-script, called by
dhclient as part of the handling of the dhcp response.
The exact invokation is "if ping -q -c 1 $first_router; then ...". Obviously,
$first_router wasn't set, resulting in the usage error I saw.

Fix? Added "option routers aaa.bb.ccc.ddd" to the dhclient.conf lease {}
stanza, so it's now:

lease {
  interface "eth0";
  fixed-address 192.168.0.58;