2009/1/3 Amos Shapira <amos.shap...@gmail.com>:
> 2009/1/3 sara fink <sara.f...@gmail.com>:
>> Recently I searched for diskimage programs and came across this program
>> http://www.dubaron.com/diskimage/ but I haven't tried it.
>> That program is for windows.
>
> I have access only to linux for that matter.
>
>> There are other 2 programs for linux which you might consider and they are
>> for linux. Clonezilla (I wasn't succesful with that, due to other reasons,
>> but might work for you) and the 2nd option which I prefer is g4u. g4u you
>> rescue to ftp server. upload the files to a ftp server. This might help. I
>> will try later today g4u and tell you. I use g4u to backup ntfs filesystems.
>
> My problem is with (what appears to be) a currupt media. Clonezilla
> and g4u are sort of backup programs.
>
> That's why I think ddrescue is the right tool - it just keeps trying
> to read each and every block on the device and skip over blocks which
> can't be read even after a few retries.
>

>> As for your questions:
>> What makes you think that if you put another usb hd you will start from 137
>> and up?
>
> No, I don't think I need another USB hd, I think I need another
> external IDE->USB enclosure with an IDE/ATA controller which can
> support 200Gb, to read the last part of my defective disk.

Now that I packed the USB box to give it back to the shop, I noticed
that it claims to support drives up to 500Gb.
It also comes with a (Windows?) driver mini-CD.

Could it be that Windows screwed up some parameters on the disk itself
to disable it from supporting >137Gb?
Is there something I can change (especially though the USB cable, as I
don't have a working P-ATA chassis handy)?

>> To recover file names try to look here:
>> http://forums.getdata.com/computer-data-recovery/90-why-cant-recover-filenames.html
>>
>> Maybe their program will help.
>>
>> as for identifying the file name in the gz file, might be tricky. Usually
>> the file name appears in the first line (header). So in general cat of the
>
> I see that the gzip format indeed contains the original file name in
> the header. I don't see a way to view this using the gzip/gunzip
> tools. Maybe I'll have to resort to Perl script for that, I was hoping
> I'll be able to avoid that. :(

After reading this I though (and later confirmed) that using gnu tar's
"z" argument probably means that the gzip compression function inside
tar see an unnamed input stream and therefore won't record the file
name in the header (fixing this might be a nice feature to add to gnu
tar - "put filename.tar less the .gz, or convert .tgz to .tar, in the
files 'Name' attribute").  The following little perl script confirmed
this:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;
#use Data::Dumper::Simple;

use IO::Uncompress::Gunzip qw($GunzipError);

for my $filename (@ARGV)
{
  my $z = new IO::Uncompress::Gunzip $filename
    or die "$filename: $GunzipError";

  my $hdr = $z->getHeaderInfo();
  my $name = defined($hdr->{Name}) ? $hdr->{Name} : "(undefined)";
  print "\"$name\"\n";
#  print Dumper($hdr);
}

exit 0;

Run it with:

$ find . -name "*.gz" | xargs read-gzip-header.pl

All .gz files retrieved by photorec had undefined "Name" attribute.

Cheers,

--Amos