On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:06:58AM +0200, Ori Idan wrote:
> It seems that the DoK solution is not good for me.
> The computer I am trying to install on is IBM ThinkPad X31 and it seems that
> it can't boot from DoK so although I have a working Ubuntu DoK I can not use
> it for my computer.
> Does anyone have any idea how can I install Ubuntu on this computer without
> a CD?

If you have another computer on the network, you might consider a
network install, if your BIOS/NIC support PXE.

> The computer already has an old version of Debian running on it.

You can try and add to the grub menu the kernel and initrd of the Ubuntu
installation, and if all goes well that should do it. Copy the files to
/boot, duplicate an entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst, change the kernel and
initrd lines to point to the files you copied, and add to the kernel
command line whatever's that in the Ubuntu installer (you can find this
out e.g. by looking at their network installation instructions, if you
can't look at the boot files on the DOK). However, if you have a problem,
you won't be able to boot to some rescue CD to solve it. If it's an
important machine, I think I'd first make sure I have some other boot
device with useful rescue media.
--
Didi