Lev Olshvang wrote:

Hello all,

I am looking for explanation of the  kgdb errors and usage advice.

I am running Linux 2.6.15.5 system with a kgdb patches from the kgfb.linsyssoft.com.

I built a kernel with ethernet driver included (not module) and KGDB remote debug enable over Ethernet.

I am trying to strictly follow the guide I had downloaded from linsyssoft.com

First I tried to run debug other ethernet using kgdboe parameter on boot

I built a kernel with ethernet driver included (not module) and KGDB remote debug enable over Ethernet.

And the gdb session was stuck because the target system did not answered to ARP requsests
for 10.0.0.3
The corresponding section from gub.conf is

title Linux-2.6.15.5-kgdb(eth)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15.5-kgdb ro root=/dev/hda1 kgdb...@10.0.0.6/,@10.0.0.3/
console=ttyS0,115200

So I suppose I should manually load network driver, but how can I do it from boot line and assign IP address to it ?
The answers, as very often with such simple questions, are in the kernel documentation directory:

The second attempt I took with a serial 8250 driver
I had build new kernel with Serial driver configured for remote debugging and

changed boot line to :

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13-kgdb ro root=/dev/hda1 kgdbwait kgdb8250=1,115200

*Question1 :  - docs says it must be kgdb8250=ttyS1,115200,
*
but when I tried this , the debug session even did not come to kgdb breakpoint.
I'm guessing it needs to be ttyS0 and not 1.

gdbmod-2.4 ./vmlinux itle Linux-2.6.15.5-kgdb(eth)

GNU gdb 6.4
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details. This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) set remotebaud 115200
(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS0
breakpoint () at kernel/kgdb.c:1888
1888            atomic_set(&kgdb_setting_breakpoint, 0);
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
[17179569.184000] Waiting for connection from remote gdb...
[*17179569.184000] Invalid syntax for option kgdb8250=*

[New thread 1737]
Error while mapping shared library sections:
ide_disk.ko: Success.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
ide_disk.ko: No such file or directory.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
ide_disk.ko: No such file or directory.
[New thread 1774]
Error while reading shared library symbols:
ide_disk.ko: No such file or directory.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
ide_disk.ko: No such file or directory.
[New thread 1747]
Error while mapping shared library sections:
generic.ko: Success.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
ide_disk.ko: No such file or directory.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
generic.ko: No such file or directory.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
ide_disk.ko: No such file or directory.
Error while reading shared library symbols:
generic.ko: No such file or directory.
[New thread 1757]
Error while mapping shared library sections

Question 3 : Are those Succeses and Errors normal
No. I think you are missing the path to where the target kernel modules are. It should something like

set solib-absolute-prefix /dev/null
set solib-search-path /path/to/kernel/modules
Question 4: How I can command to load my module from gdb line and set a breakpoint to the function I would like to debug ?

Just load your modules on the target and then break in gdb and plant the break point. you can also plant a break point before loading the module (a defered break point) if you want to break in the module init function.\

Gilad

Regards to the kenel gurus.

Lev

Gilad Ben-Yossef Chief Coffee Drinker

Codefidence Ltd.
The code is free, your time isn't.(TM)

Web:    http://codefidence.com
Email:  gi...@codefidence.com
Office: +972-8-9316883 ext. 201
Fax:    +972-8-9316885
Mobile: +972-52-8260388

The Doctor: Don't worry, Reinette, just a nightmare. Everyone has nightmares. Even monsters from under the bed have nightmares, don't you, monster?
        Reinette: What do monsters have nightmares about?
The Doctor: Me!