Arie Skliarouk wrote:

    How do they solve the latency problems inherent to any internet
    connection?
    The round trip time to a well connected (read: 0% packet loss)
    server in Israel from an Israeli ISP, where Israel here is defined
    as "connected to the IIX", is under 50ms.

On a 150kbit upload ADSL upload of a 1500 bytes packet takes about 85ms. To send out the VoIP packet would take another 85ms (on condition that you have a really good QoS). This causes latency of 85-170ms with jitter 85ms. The VoIP speech (SIP protocol) has a lot of skips and is unacceptable.
ahem... accept in real life VoIP packets are rarely larger then 250 bytes (most of the time then are not over 100 byes) and that the SIP protocol doesn't actually carry any media (read: voice) information - that is left for RTP.

More to the point - VoIP , in general works great. In the (very distant) past been on the technical team of a VoIP start up and trust me - VoIP works great on ADSL lines.

Theory aside, I would like to hear first-hand experiences of people with 018 before I commit for a year of phone service with them.
That I agree completely - that fact that VoIP works doesn't means that 018 do... :-)

Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef Chief Coffee Drinker

Codefidence Ltd.
The code is free, your time isn't.(TM)

Web:    http://codefidence.com
Email:  gi...@codefidence.com
Office: +972-8-9316883 ext. 201
Fax:    +972-8-9316885
Mobile: +972-52-8260388

The Doctor: Don't worry, Reinette, just a nightmare. Everyone has nightmares. Even monsters from under the bed have nightmares, don't you, monster?
        Reinette: What do monsters have nightmares about?
The Doctor: Me!