-----Original Message-----
From: Aviram Jenik [mailto:avi...@jenik.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 6:46 PM
To: Imri Zvik
Cc: linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il
Subject: Re: Israeli ISP blocking outgoing SMTP

Noam didn't say blocking port 25 for everyone is a good thing or that he
likes
it - just that this is what ISPs in Europe and the US are doing that to
fight
spam.

What Noam said is that ISPs have a responsibility to prevent spam being
sent
from their hosts. He also said that blacklists may not be the smartest
thing
in the world, but they are deployed and in use - once that's done it's
the
ISPs responsibility for its users to not be listed. It is unfortunate
ISPs
choose blocking port 25 as the easy way to do that, but like I said it's
the
current common practice.

By the way - just to set the Linux-IL record straight - Imri has been
extremely helpful to us in several "abuse" cases we contacted him with.
It
wasn't necessary for him to do that (that's what the abuse desk is for)
but
he did it anyway, and I applaud him for that.

But that doesn't mean we don't have our different PoVs...

Hag Sameach.

- Aviram