Oron Peled wrote:

There's a reason why the kernel does not respect suid/sgid bit on shell
scripts -- It's because there are gazillions of ways a user can use
this script to gain total root access.
Name two?

Maybe writing a wrapper suid program that totally sanitize
both the environment and command line arguments before
exec'ing the script would make it. Although I wouldn't bet
on it since it only covers the obvious attack vectors against
shell scripts.
Fine. Make the two cover these obvious vectors, one each.

I have to say that I first heard about this restriction, I thought it made a lot of sense. Since then, I have searched for these famed attack vectors, and have come up short. Sure, if the script itself has security holes, then a suid script will be vulnerable. As I'm sure you know well, this is also true of C written code, however.

So my question is: are there attack vectors against the following script?

#!/bin/sh -e

echo "Hello, cruel world"

--
Shachar Shemesh