Yuval Hager wrote:

Thanks. I probably wasn't clear on (5). I would like to be able to go back in time when I restore. AFAIK, rsync* solutions are mirroring the current state only, where rdiff-backup and duplicity does allow time travel.

There is still the original question about the key handling, I just wanted to give a little more context..

--y
rsync allows you to create a new image for each iteration, where the new version contains hard links to the old one if nothing changed in the file. For all intents and purposes, this is incremental backup.

I should point out one huge disadvantage of storing binary diffs when using encrypted systems. There is no (practical) way to erase old backups. Your backup storage size is bound to be ever increasing. This is because the only way to create a new complete snapshot (i.e. - a non-incremental backup) is to retransmit the entire backup data. Because the remote side is encrypted, you cannot use it to expand the image remotely.

With rsync, you have some storage overhead (changed files are stored again in their entirety, rather than merely the changes), but that does not reflect in the bandwidth requirement. You gain the advantage that every snapshot is independent. You can erase old snapshots in arbitrary order, without risking your data.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.