On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:38:54 sara fink wrote:

> http://code.google.com/p/subflip/ this is a script that will
> convert subtitles to work with xine

>From the help I understand it works for UTF-8 only (i.e. not for
ISO-8859-8). Most Hebrew subtitles use the ISO-8859-8 encoding,
of course you can covert (with iconv) but why bother ?

You can use the VLC player which works very well on UBUNTU -
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html .  It does show
Hebrew (if you have a Hebrew font), both UTF-8 and ISO-8859-8,
with bidi reordering. If you use ISO-8859-8 subtitle you should
set it in the VLC options and NOT let it auto detect it. The
auto detection works, but many times the first and last characters
are not displayed.

> As for web sites to download subtitles in hebrew (maybe they won't work with
> xine and you will need to convert them) take a look at these good sites:
>
> http://subscene.com/subtitles/hebrew.aspx

This is a good pointer for English subtitles, but the number of Hebrew
subtitles is not impressive. Two Israeli sites (both have roughly the
same reservoir of Hebrew subtitles, I like the 1st):
    http://www.sratim.co.il/movies/subtitles/
    http://www.torec.net/movies.asp

Another international subtitle site I use - http://www.allsubs.org/

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign