Lev Olshvang wrote:

Hi linuxers,

I am trying to compile glibc2.9 on Ubuntu 7.10
and I am experiencing chicken and egg problem :

Here the steps I do

1. ../glibc-2-.9/configure

2. make

 Result:
dl-load.c:1796: more undefined references to `__stack_chk_fail_local' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Google search reveals that this function belong to stack-protector feature and advised to turn it off
So I removed buid directory to start  again

1 . export CFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector"
   export CXXFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector "

2. ../glibc-2-.9/configure

3.  make

Result
glibc-build/config.h:3:3: error: #error "glibc cannot be compiled without optimization"

Can smb advise on this ?
You overrode the default CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS with your own version - which does not include -O Add -O2 to your CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS. Possibly other flags are needs as well. See which flags are used by default.

Gilad

Thanks,
Lev

Gilad Ben-Yossef