sammy ominsky wrote:
On 13/08/2009, at 09:04, Jonathan Ben Avraham wrote:

The customer is looking for someone who can a commit to doing the board bring-up process, write the BSP and set up a BusyBox distribution with Qt libraries within five weeks, with significant penalties for late delivery.

Are there significant bonuses for early delivery?
Without knowing the details, or anything else about the project or the client, here is what my experience says will happen to anyone brave enough to submit a quote. This typifies my belief that some clients put up "money saving" requirements that end up shooting themselves in the foot.

The client is, likely, working under the following constraints:

   * They just received the devices from manufacturing, and need to
     have the board brought up as soon as possible
   * They are living under an external deadline. They cannot extend the
     five weeks deadline because it is a deadline to them. This is
     either a similar contract with their customer, or an investor who
     is impatient to see whether he wants to pull his money, or any
     such similar circumstances.
   * Engineer looks at the task to be done, says "well, 90% of it is
     just duplicating what has already been done for the Freescale
     development board, so it shouldn't be a problem".
   * Client then says "hey! let's outsource the risk instead of just
     the work".

Any reasonable contractor will perform the following calculation:

   * There are a huge number of unknowns about this work. You can never
     tell how much is "based closely", or what horrendous bugs you will
     find in the drivers once you start. I was once involved in a
     project (along with TkOS) where the board was "based closely" on
     the versatile platform. The project was a 9 months project that
     included a lot more than merely bringing up the board, but seven
     months into the project "board bringup" tasks were still being
     performed.
   * As a contractor, if I'm going to accept the client's risks, I need
     to be rewarded. In statistical terms, the expected value must be
     positive. If the project is at a loss if I am late, it must be
     really really profitable if I'm on time, or else there is no point
     in taking it up to begin with.

As a result, the quote is typically high. Very high. In addition, the contractor obviously states that all times are from the point where an order is issued.

The client is surprised. They usually don't understand that it was their penalty requirements that drove the price up. After all, this is supposed to be a simple project, merely performing adaptations to an already brought up platform, over in five weeks. As a result, it takes a few days, maybe even a week, to approve the quote (usually demanding that the price become lower). As far as the contractor is concerned, this week is not counted toward the delivery date, but since the client is constrained by external deadlines, as far as they are concerned, it does. The result is that the project is late, the client AND the contractor start disgruntled at the other side's "unreasonable behavior", and all sides lose.

Here is what could have been done to make things better. The client issues a request for a project at cost+, asking for a discount on the hourly rate in exchange for a significant bonus in case the project is delivered on time. Mathematically speaking, this offer is identical to the above offer, but as it is phrased in positive rather than negative terms, it is much easier to approve. This, of course, means that it can start much earlier, and have a better chance of succeeding.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.