On Aug 16, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Danny Lieberman wrote:

I challenge you to bring one example of an Israeli startup that was able to profitably monetize their idea with software patent licensing. Patent trolls like Aerotel and NTP don't count.

I can't because I am not a native Hebrew speaker/reader (less than my sons did in first grade), so I can't properly research the subject. There is also IMHO a fatal flaw in your argument, you are asking me for something that people rarely do while ignoring what they often do. Companies don't patent things with the intention of licensing those patents, except for companies that do what you asked me not to use as examples.

They patent things with the intention of keeping their IP their own, for that I can almost give you a laundry list of companies off the top of my head, Intel, SUN, Microsoft, NDS, and so on. All of whom sell products and services outside (and inside) Israel and use patents as a way of protecting their IP, limiting their competition.

Then there is your notion of "first mover advantage"; most new ideas these days take a long time to penetrate the market - you can develop software in 3-5 months but it still will take 3-5 years for the business to grow and take root (assuming you have all the other pieces in place).

First mover advantage goes to the person who is perceived to be first, not the person who is first.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendel...@gmail.com