Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

So my question: What do you do in case you have the same scenario?
what steps do you take to prevent things like that from happening?

I would focus less on prevention, and more on diagnostics. I usually use munin (you can see a live example at http://www.hamakor.org.il/munin). It's great in that it gives you complete history of almost all relevant parameters, and you can (farily easily) add your own.

As for the specific problem you are describing, assuming it repeats itself, it really depends. For example, if you look at the munin history and see the load average slowly ascending, then I would run ps and check for runaway zombies or processes. If the load average jumps suddenly, I would run cron with something that logs the top ten active processes.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.