2009/12/8 Tom Goren <motne...@gmail.com>

> does it work with *su* (as opposed to over ssh)?
>
> i.e.     *su - bybass -c "/Path/To/bypass.sh** param1 param2"
>
> *also, more information is definitely required, especially why you are
> trying to use this script as the default user shell, which does not sound
> like best practices...
>
> a shell is a shell, and a script is a script. if you want to run something
> by default whenever the user logs in, then just use /bin/bash as the default
> shell, and then set up whatever you need in the user's respective *.bashrc
> *
>
> please someone correct me if i am mistaken.

I beg to differ.

It's legitimate to assign a special script as a login shell when you want to
limit the user to just executing that command when logging in.
e.g. "/bin/nologin" or "/bin/halt".

The script should probably be pretty secure to prevent leaks (e.g. allow
injection of code via unquoted input).

I just created a user "testuser" on my desktop, assigned it a password, made
sure it has a home directory and a file named .hushlogin under it and set
its shell to the following script:

#!/bin/bash
echo Arguments: "$*"

And when I ssh to it I get:

# ssh testu...@localhost arg1
testu...@localhost's password:
Arguments: -c arg1

Seems to work fine. The OP will have to give more info to get help.

--Amos