shlomo solomon wrote:
I'm moving from HOT to YES television. Since several of the TVs in my home are actually PCs with internal analogue TV cards (2 Linux boxes and 1 Windows), I asked YES tech support if they would work. I was told that all I have to do is to use whatever software runs the card to scan for the channel needed to connect to the MEMIR. I will, of course, not be able to choose what program to watch via the software (XawTV, in my case), but will have to change programs via the YES remote.

Can anyone confirm that this information is correct?

TIA

I actually had to get up and look at my receiver in order to answer that.

I do not see an RF output on the standard Yes receiver, so their description of "scan for the right program" seems, to me, to be false. Having said that, I am very doubtful that your TV card does not have a video in port, if not an actual s-video port. Any of those will work, and will actually give you better quality than the RF option mentioned above.

Personally, I use an s-video port for the receiver, and will be getting the blaster working as soon as I get around to it (which will allow myth-tv to switch channels automatically, I hope).

There were also instructions on the web on connecting (for Windows) a satellite receiver directly to the wall, and use the receiver's key card to decrypt the broadcasts directly. Like I said, it did require a special software (as well as a key card reader, of course, but that one was serial), so I don't know how easy it is going to be to run on Linux. If it would work, however, it would allow lossless reception + channel changing + lossless recording.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.