sammy ominsky wrote:
Hi all,

I have one server that is constantly getting overrun by zombies! Nagios alerts me that
** NAGIOS ALERT ** PROBLEM with Zombie Processes on Hardware ***********
(***.***.***.***).  Service is CRITICAL as of Sun Jan 3 15:17:10 UTC 2010.  The
additional information available is: PROCS CRITICAL: 23 processes with STATE = Z

ps shows me it's mostly one process this time, other times it's others

19279 ?        Z      0:00 [playrecording.p] <defunct>
Use pstree and check who the zombies parent is. If it is the same process for almost all of them, this is likely a software bug in playrecording.p (or whatever the parent is). If it is process ID 1, then you have some other problem (probably in the kernel).

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.