On Jan 21, 2010, at 2:08 PM, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

Hi,

Sorry for OT post, but since questions regarding cellular ISPs get
good traction I'll bother you with a general Internet question, too.

Are there any alternatives in Israel to Hot and Bezeq in internet
infrastructure provisioning business (private, not business)? Frankly,
I am quite appalled by the level of customer service either of these
provide (I do not have any significant technical issues, it's customer
service and infrastructure that drives me mad). I am willing to
consider alternatives, but I don't know of any, and I tried to
google... ;-) Anything at all? Abandon all hope?

Hot has what they call "buisness class" service. If the outage is regional, they can't help you any more than the regular customers, but it it's local. they are very different. In February I found after shabbat that my internet was down. My next door neighbor and I both called at about the same time for the same problem, he was told they would be out on Tuesday, I was told later that morning. 15 minutes later a tech called saying he was on his way, he arrived 15 minutes later and spent an hour and a half in the rain fixing it. He said since I had his number from the phone call, I could call him with any problem.

About a month later, I gave up and installed a 2.5mbit aDSL line as a backup. I chose 012 as my ISP and it was unusable except for low level web surfing, etc. I upgraded to the "gamer's" package and it has been a lot better. I can run bit torrent, high speed downloads, VoIP and general web surfing all at once and if I choose carefully really do get my 2.5mbits worth of download speed.

In plain English Oleg, this is Israel, and you get what you pay for, nothing more, and often a lot less. :-(

BTW, there has been construction in the neighborhood with someone running cable up the street. I don't know if it's HOT upgrading their infrastructure, BEZEQ installing NGN, or someone completely different, but in the last two weeks I have had several outages, some lasting for hours, and both at the same time.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendel...@gmail.com