Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
Hi people,

I'm having an argument with a hosting company abroad. Their mirror server gives me full speed download (600k on my 5Mbit ADSL) while my server there gives me half.
They say that they don't use any QoS tricks.

I have talked to their support and I heard a weird claim: their mirror server's kernel is "optimized for long distance download". I never heard of such a thing in my life with the Linux kernel of such a thing..
Short answer - run a sniffer on both downloads.

Longer answer - there are some tricks you can do, some of them "legal", others violating the TCP/IP standard, in order to handle high latency links better. They might be referring to those.

Conclusion - run a sniffer :-)

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh