For XCompose you do the following:

   - Make sure that you have a Multi_key declared. It is usually Right Alt
   or Right Win buttons. Use xev to make sure.
   - Copy /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose to ~/.XCompose
   - Add additional Multi_key combinations at the end of the file.
   - Restart X-server.
   - Test.

xkb is more complicated. I created my own Hebrew map years ago which may be
found at:

   - http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/Hebrew/pango-hebrew.html
   - http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/Hebrew/hebrew.xkbmap

Btw, in contrast to what it sais in the html page it is enough to load this
page through "xkbcomp hebrew.xkbmap. :0".

This file basically declares a second keyboard group, for Hebrew, and for
that group I defined what is the key symbol for the unshifted and the
shifted characters. (Note  contrast to the current Hebrew standard
http://www.qsm.co.il/NewHebrew/Key1452e.htm .) In additon to nikkud I also
put RLM on shift-Zayin and LRM shift-Samech. Shift-Bet to Shift-Tzadik are
still unallocated and may e.g. be used for RLO, LRO, RLE, LRE, and PDF.

You switch between keyboard groups with the ISO_Next_group key which I have
mapped to the RWIN key.

Looking again at the old xkbmap and comparing it to my current file it seems
that there might be some missing definitions. See if you can get it to work
and let me know if there are any problems.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dov