Valery Reznic wrote:

--- On Sat, 3/13/10, guy keren <c...@actcom.co.il> wrote:

From: guy keren <c...@actcom.co.il>
Subject: Re: XWindows - how capture window ?
To: "Valery Reznic" <valery_rez...@yahoo.com>
Date: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 3:56 PM

the reason is: background jobs.

the application does not necessarily do everything in one
shot. some of its widgets leave some processing to be done
during "idle" periods - which, i imagine, are triggered by
timers. for this, they need the main loop to be executed for
some (non-zero) duration.
At least application itself do nothing with timers.
And widgets are the standard ones - labels, buttons, text and draw areas.

So I don't sure what's background jobs is.

in my program, i used the gtk+ toolkit, and specifically the TextView widget.

in this widget, when you populate it with a large amount of text, it calculates the size of lines in the background (as an idle task), in order to be able to draw the window withthe first lines of text as soon as possible. i needed to be able to show the text and immediately jump to some line - this failed because the widget didn't yet know exactly where to draw each line.

there was no method for the widget to tell me it finished calculating its background tasks, so i had to use this kind of sleep-and-wait as a work-around.

--guy