Tom Rosenfeld wrote:

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Tom Rosenfeld <tro...@bezeqint.net <mailto:tro...@bezeqint.net>> wrote:

    Hi,

    I am a great fan of rsync for copying filesystems. However I now
    have a filesystem which is several hundred gigabytes and
    apparently has a lot of small files. I have been running rsync all
    night and it still did not start copying as it is still building
    the file list.
    Is there any way to get it to start copying as it goes. Or do any
    of you have a better tool?

    Thanks,
    -tom

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I realized that in my case I did not really need rsync since it is a local disk to disk copy.
Please note that rsync from local to local is just a glorified cp. It does not do file comparisons at all.
It was also pointed out that ver 3 of rsync now does start to copy before it indexes all the files. Unfortunately, it is not available on CentOS 5.

wget http://samba.anu.edu.au/ftp/rsync/src/rsync-3.0.7.tar.gz
tar xvzf rsync-3.0.7.tar.gz
cd rsync-3.0.7.tar.gz
./configure