On 04/22/10 10:25, Marc Volovic wrote:
> You are talking about a terminal server.
> I suggest you buy the simplest possible linux machine (micro box would
> be VERY good), plug in two USB hubs and plug into the hubs USB<->RS232
> converters. Voilla! Instant TS.

While this is relatively cheap solution, it may prove rather unreliable.
I am using USB-to-Serial cables for serial consoles quite a lot for my work,
and they all have a common problem - periodically USB freaks out
and device disconnects and reconnects, often under different device name.

Old CISCO 2511 will do much better job. I don't know where to get one of
those in Israel. In US it's possible to get one for ~$300.

Ebay has quite a few listed, BTW.

--
Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh
http://www.total-knowledge.com