Hi Hetz,
My experience is with raid backup servers, that need to keep data but don't
have to be the fastest.
I wouldn't go so  far with it at the start.
Take some old server box.
Buy a killer power supply for hard drives stability.
Now test the setup using mdadm as raid.
This will most likely be good for you.
If it's not mission critical, hardware raid is not mandatory, because with
mdadm you get updates, which are very easy to apply.
Now you just have to watch the server load and ram to decide if you need
better hardware.

Regards,
Kfir