On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzaf...@cohens.org.il>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 08:48:35PM +0200, geoffrey mendelson wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 11, 2010, at 8:29 PM, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> >

> >> Of the top of my head, two options:
> >> 1. A dual core ATOM combo box can be found at under 800nis. Add a
> >> case,
> >> PSU and you can stay under 1100nis.
> >

> > KSP has one for 800 NIS including 1gb RAM, 250gb HD.
> >
> > Ivory's cheapest is 945 NIS, but it has a different ATOM processor and a
> > different brand of motherboard.
> >
> > Both are dual core.
>
> My SheevaPlug is 7W (normal operation: 3W or less), 512MB RAM, only 512MB
> of
> NAND (though you can use a SD card like me, or a slower USB). CPU is a
> 1.2GHz
> ARM, though I'd say it is rather comparable to a slower Intel CPU.

The Seagate FreeAgent DockStar that was mentioned here can be bought in
Israel for as low as 268 NIS, or 289 NIS including shipping. ($39.99 direct
from Seagate USA, down from $100).
It is almost identical to the SheevaPlus (same processor , same speed), but
the price is 1/2 to 1/3 of what it would cost you to buy a single SheevaPlug
yourself.
(including Shipping, Handling and Taxes).

Cons:
Only 128MB DRAM
256MB Flash (not sure)
No SD slot.
Some SheevaPlug units come with eSATA port. Almost all units have room for
the eSATA connector if you are good with a soldering iron (you also need to
add some resistors/capacitors).

Pros:
Multiple USB ports.
Can directly dock a seagate FreeAgent 2.5" Hard Disk.
Cheap!
Available in israel.

It can run both debian and OpenWRT.
http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ecc/dockstar-howto.html

If you keep the original firmware, the original unit runs the pogoplug
software, but the license is only for 1 year. perpetual license is $30 more.

Udi