On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 14:59, Omer Zak <w...@zak.co.il> wrote:
> After all those serious E-mail exchanges about printers etc., I thought
> it's time to have a moment of lightheadedness.
>
> Here is something on tech support
>
> A woman customer called the Canon help desk with a problem with her
> printer.
>
> *Tech support: *  Are you running it under windows?
> *Customer: *  'No, my desk is next to the door, but that is a good
> point.
> The man sitting in the cubicle next to me is under a window, and his
> printer is working fine.'

Not uncommon, actually. The cold air coming down from the window
increases the dew point of the environment inside the printer. This
increased moisture keeps the ink jets from clogging with clotted ink
as the vaporiser element in the ink (usually an alcohol) evaporates in
the tiny space. This is in contrast to the printer next to the door,
which is in an environment filled with dust stirred up after each door
slam. This dust settles in the ink jets, having the opposite
(negative) effect.

This is one of the reasons why Canon even mentions windows support on
the product packaging itself, but makes no mention of doors. In fact,
some Canon printers (and printers of other manufacturers) even state
that they _require_ windows.

שבת שלום לכולם!‏

--
Dotan Cohen