On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 21:49 +0300, Elazar Leibovich wrote:
> On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 4:06 PM, guy keren <c...@actcom.co.il> wrote:
>
>         if you eventually decide that it is indeed disk I/O that slows
>         you down,
>         and if you have a lot of money to spend - you could consider
>         buying an
>         enterprise-grade SSD (e.g. from fusion I/O or from OCZ -
>         although for
>         your use-case, some of the cheaper SSDs will do) and use it
>         instead of
>         the hard disks. they only cost thousands of dollars for a
>         600GB SSD ;)
>

> Is there a reason you're recommending such an expensive drives?
> I thought some time ago to buy a "regular" 40-80Gb and install the OS
> +swap there, and have a "regular" drive around for the rest of the
> data. Is there a reason this won't work?

I suspect that speeding up /usr won't help improve performance that
much.  The applications, which seem to be sluggish, deal with a lot of
user data in /home.  Furthermore, this user data varies a lot with time,
hence it is not that good idea to store it in SSD.

I liked more the idea of using a RAID scheme.

--- Omer

--
My Commodore 64 is suffering from slowness and insufficiency of memory;
and its display device is grievously short of pixels.  Can anyone help?

I may be affiliated in any way.