Nadav Har'El's thoughts below make a lot of sense.

Eliyahu Goldratt, in his books "It's not luck" and "Critical Chain"
discussed the difference in value to the provider (cost+) and to the
client (which has no relationship with the value to the provider); and
the value of finishing a project early.

If I were having such a business today, I'd specialize in certain areas
and accumulate expertise, scripts, tools, know-how in those areas, and
cultivate the ability to finish early&reliably projects in those areas.
Also, the prices for those projects won't be direct function of the
skull hours spent on them.

Why didn't I actually start such a business?  I need a partner who is
people's person, and was unsuccessful in finding such a person.

About ten years ago I worked with such a person and we were successful
as long as the market niche, served by us, lasted.  And we indeed
invested in accumulating expertise and tools and we successfully aimed
at shortening turnaround times of the projects serving that particular
niche.  The business does not exist today because we were not successful
in locating another good niche once the original niche disappeared
(which was far from taking us by surprise).

[DISCLAIMER: Yes, in the above I am self-promoting and am on the lookout
for the missing ingredients for a successful business.]

--- Omer

--
MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.

I may be affiliated in any way.