Also a nice idea, but I like the idea of redundant backups (if one laptop gets stolen or broken)

On 11/27/2011 09:38 PM, Valery Reznic wrote:
Mount your /home on external hard drive and move drive from one laptop
to another?

Valery.

    *From:* Michael Shiloh <michaelshiloh1...@gmail.com>
    *Sent:* Monday, November 28, 2011 12:47 AM
    *Subject:* What's the best way to sync two laptops?

    I now have two laptops which I'll use somewhat interchangeably.
    What's a good way to sync work between them?

    My main job is teaching, so I have many teaching notes and other
    documents. Dropbox might be a good way to sync these. I'm going to be
    doing some 3D design so I'll have inkscape and blender files as well.
    Dropbox again, I think.

    What about browsing stuff? History, passwords, bookmarks. I use
    Vimperator, which has such a good history mechanism I rarely use
    bookmarks but rely heavily on history. I could put my entire .mozilla
    directory in Dropbox. In fact I could put all my . files (cshrc, vimrc,
    etc.)

    How do you prefer to handle mail? Do you prefer to keep it on the
    server or on your local computer? If local, how do you sync multiple
    computers? If remote, how do you work with past messages when offline?

    Up to now I've downloaded my gmail to my laptop and not deleted on the
    server. That gives me a local copy to work with if I have no Internet
    access, as well as an online backup I can access via my cellphone.

    Sent email is stored only on my laptop, meaning I don't have access to
    it when I'm away from my laptop.

    I've always felt this was not an ideal situation, but fixing this was
    not a high priority. Keeping everything on the server means I'll run
    out of space eventually, and keeping a local copy means I consume
    space on my hard drive.

    Concrete suggestions as well as your own personal experience and methods
    will be most appreciated.

    Years ago I remember reading about someone who had everything
    checked in to CVS, including all his email. This allowed him to sync
    his computer at home, work, elsewhere using CVS. Interesting solution.